I always always always rock/pat Harper to sleep at night. Not the BW way to do things, but I am so thankful that I have gotten to do this each night. (and Bubba takes the honors if I'm not home at H's bedtime). But as I am doing this, I always take that time to pray over her & praise and thank the Lord for the blessing in my arms. I always pray that the Lord work in her heart - even now - to grow in Him and learn to love Him more. I pray for her day of salvation & that He give me the grace & mercy to help raise her in a Christian home. I am almost always moved to tears when I begin to just thank Him for letting me be her Mommy. I am so humbled that He has entrusted her to us! I sometimes pray for her future hubby (& his parents as they are probably rocking their sweet boy to sleep!), her future college roommates, her future best friends, her future teachers/coaches, etc, etc, etc. Then I always kiss her sweet cheek goodnight before I lay her down. I just don't think I will ever be able to thank God enough for giving us Harper! ....and to think He willingly gave His son for me...motivates this heart towards gratitude for sure.
This little girl is doing so much these days. I just started teaching 4yo at MDO at our church this week. Harper also started her first days of "school" in the baby room with Mrs. Holly & Mrs. Terri! We both enjoyed our week, but we were exhausted on Wed & Fri! I think Harper slept more on Wednesday than she ever did as a newborn! haha! She was wiped out from all the fun she had on Tuesday!
We give her rice cereal or oatmeal every night. I have begun to introduce foods to her this way too. I think she prefers the oatmeal over cereal... Her latest favorite is sweet potatoes + oatmeal, but I think her ultimate favorite combo is oatmeal with a spoon of apples, bananas, and pears. :) Dad LOVES to feed her each night, and Mom is thankful for a little break, of course! :)
She is pushing up - full extension - on her hands. She has started to scoot backwards some - which I know is the step before crawling! I have lots of friends with young babies, and I've been watching their little ones learn to crawl/pull up...and I know it's inevitably heading our way!! :) Again, such a great accomplishment to look forward to, but I know it's one step furthering her from being a baby. I know it sounds crazy, but you Moms understand the bittersweetness of it all! We love to give her tummy time, and she has really taken a great interest in her toys. Of course, everything (aggressively) goes to her mouth to chew on!! :) ...but no teeth yet!
One of my favorite times with her is when she starts to get sleepy. She has a "sleep talk" that is more than precious. She just uses her voice to sing - humm - "talk" - etc. I think it's so funny to watch her when she does it! Maybe I will be able to catch it on camera one day...
One of her favorite new-to-us toys is her Jenny Jump Up! She loves the freedom to stand/jump on her own. Bella doesn't know what to think about this whole set up! She barks at Harper and wags her tail - which in turn makes Harper laugh & jump - which makes Bella bark and wag her tail...you see the cycle! Keeps us laughing too!
She is still wearing size 2 diapers. Mostly 3 mo clothes. She can wear a few 3-6mo outfits. And amazingly...can still wear some NB outfits too. Everyone's first reaction after hearing that she is 5 months is, "She's so tiny!" And she is! But she's healthy & growing too. Her little bald head is starting to get some hair...I think it will be light brown? Her eyes have settled into being brown too, just like her Daddy's! There are 11 grandchildren now between mine & my siblings' families, and she's our only brown-eyed baby! I have a little brown hair/brown eyed/petite girl named Campbell in my MDO class, and the first day I met her I thought, "This is exactly what Harper will be like!" Campbell is mighty cute, so I'd be ok with that! :)
Harper's favorite songs are: I'm a Little Teapot and the theme song to Fresh Prince of Belair. She smiles so big every time we sing both of those songs! She loves to stand in your lap & see what's going on all around her, and we're working on getting her to sit up too.
I'm telling you...this season of blessing is really humbling me! I'm so thankful that the Lord has given us the opportunity to raise this little girl! And I know...people always quickly remind me to remember this when she's a teenager... :) I pray for those days some nights while I'm rocking her too... :)
1 comment:
So sweet. I rock/hold Averly to sleep every night too. It's our quiet time. It was always my favorite with Riley too. I also pray over her each night then too :)
It may not be the BW way of doing things, but your baby is only a baby for so long. I say snuggle that little bug as long as you can!
Post a Comment