Sunday, July 12, 2009

we really never stop learning...

I think that if I haven't learned anything else in the 24.75 years I've been on this Earth, I've learned this:  You never stop learning...never.  Sometimes we learn through being taught - sometimes we learn through experience - and I guess sometimes we learn by watching others.

I think something that the Lord has been teaching me recently is that I need to show more grace.  I think frustration has been my initial response in sticky situations, when really, if I want to be more like Christ, grace should be pouring from my heart instead.  I think the frustration has been more of an internal struggle than anything.  But even then, that's sin.

I also think I've learned lately that since we never stop learning, I can't expect myself to have it all figured out or expect that out of anyone else!  As I just shared, God is showing me that I need to display grace more often/and in more abundance...  Therefore; don't I need to understand that Christ may be teaching you something at this moment too?  I think if we all had this mindset when we dealt with each other, there would probably be less conflict and scars from words/accusations/etc.  Something Bro. Chad has been talking about lately (through the marriage & family series) is "preferring each other."  Preferring each other's needs and even wants over our own.  God's word says that we should do nothing out of selfish ambition - our choices and decisions should have NO selfish motives behind them!  Let that sink in for just a bit!  Nothing should have motive behind it...  This isn't Christ telling us to be doormats for people to run over, but think about the next decision you make while you & your spouse are talking about dinner plans/summer vacation/etc  OR when your child or niece/nephew asks you to spend some time with them/go to their ball game/calls just to talk!  (OR that co-worker walks in with 5 minutes of your workday left to discuss what's going on in their life)! :)  This pretty much rocked my world once it set in...  I'm pretty sure noticing this reality of God's word had much to do with learning about displaying grace more in my life...

I hope that these words challenge you as you read them.  I know as God revealed this truth to my heart, it has definitely brought conviction.  I'm not anywhere near perfect in this, but I'm thankful that Christ continues to tug on my heart encouraging me to grow & continue this learning process in life - all things to bring him glory.


1 comment:

stuchap said...

Great word to chew on.