Friday, August 28, 2009

9 weeks & 2 days

For those of you whom have not already heard...WE ARE EXPECTING! Our lack of internet at our new home mixed with pure exhaustion has kept me from blogging/facebooking/etc over the last few weeks... We are getting internet next week...but I don't know when the exhaustion will subside. :)

We are more than excited! It was definitely a surprise! Saturday, July 25th, after being at a get together with our fellowship group at church, Bubba & I came home and were unpacking boxes. I decided to take a pregnancy test - just to get rid of it...and this time TWO lines showed up! Now I am an educated person...but these pregnancy tests seem harder to translate than they should be...one line - no; two lines - yes. Bubba & I decided we had to be seeing things, so we immediately made the trek to Walmart to pick up the digital tests which would show a result of "not pregnant" or "pregnant." Seeing that two more tests were positive, I decided to call my doctor first thing Monday morning.

Our first appointment was Wednesday, August 5th. I had all the bloodwork, exam, etc done, and we were able to have our first ultrasound! We could see the yolk sac, but were not able to see the heartbeat. They told us not to worry - that it could still be early - and to come back next week. SO that we did! Wednesday, August 12th, we went back for another ultrasound. We bathed that week with prayers that God would allow us to see our child's heart pumping...and we saw a sweet heartbeat of 122 pump across the screen! We are going back next Wednesday, September 2nd for our next check up. I think we will attempt to hear the heartbeat this time.
This has definitely been an adventure! We got to tell Mom & Dad the day after I took the tests. We drove in on a Sunday afternoon to "pick up more boxes from the house..." I showed them my tests, and my mother's first response was, "Whose are these?" HA Quite a comical second for all of us.

I told my siblings & their families Sunday, August 9th at our birthday get together for Dad & Kabel. One of our gifts to Dad was a picture frame that read "Grandkids are the sunshine of life" and it had four slots for pictures. Bubba printed off pictures of Brian's kids, Erika's kids, and Tim's kids...then in the fourth slot was a picture of our positive tests. We had originally planned on putting an ultrasound picture there, but this was the Sunday before our 2nd ultrasound where they gave us a picture. Everyone was excited. It was really funny to see it settle in their minds...what this picture meant! My sister gave me 15+ books that she had throughout her pregnancies, and of course the brothers were excited too!

We got to tell Bubba's mom the night we took the tests. We knew we would not get to see her in person until Labor Day weekend, so we sent her an email with a picture of the tests. We called her, and Bubba told her he sent her a funny email...She checked her email with us on the phone and her first response was "Uh-oh, Somebody's pregnant!" Again another HA moment for us!

We have realized, especially over the last year, just how blessed we are to have been given the families we have. I've always been close to my family, and so has Bubba, but I believe we've realized just how grateful we really are for them. God has also revealed to us what great friends we have in our life. Being at Trinity has produced some new friendships that already have deep roots. And we are more than grateful for those old friends that have held our hands for years & continue to love as now.

We're excited about our new addition, and I honestly already pray for this child's protection everyday. I know that God has a plan...I'm praying that I'm obedient to that too.
I have definitely had my share of morning (aka: all day) sickness. We're praying that will subside as the weeks go on too.

Wanted to officially share the news. I'll have to get Bubba on getting our ultrasound picture on here for you to see! Thanks already for your prayers and words of encouragement! We are excited about this adventure!!

4 comments:

The Haines said...

Congratulations Whitney!! Your life will never be the same again- it will be amazing!!

Elisabeth said...

Aww, Whitney I'm so happy for you and Bubba! What a loving and fun mother you will be!

Jamie Ainsworth said...

It is definitely an adventure, and no matter what happens you'd never change a thing! Not the sleepless nights, not the fussiness, anything. It's so great when you get the sweet smiles and a little hand wraps around your finger. ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!!! Congratulations!

stuchap said...

Asa's heartbeat when we first heard it was like 175 which is very fast. There is an old wives tale that says a fast heartbeat is a girl. The nurse would always make girlie comments about Asa before we knew what he was like "she is gonna be so cute."

All that to say is don't trust the old wives tales. That nurse had convinced me and Dev that Asa was going to be a girl...Asa is very much a dude.

On a side note, Asa has been praying for ya'll to have a little girl.